Principles of Public Health (Z076)
Graduate Certificate Program
College: Public Health
The University of Maryland School of Public Health offers a post-baccalaureate Certificate in Principles of Public Health administered by the Department of Health Services Administration. This online 15 credit, five-course program is designed to provide working professionals with a foundation in the core principles of public health including
- Foundations of Epidemiology
- Introduction to Health Systems
- Foundations of Environmental Health
- Health Behavior
The exceptional foundation in the Principles of Public Health will raise your career trajectory, increasing your
- Marketable expertise
- Professional flexibility and mobility
- Core public health competencies
- Career advancement readiness
You do not have to take leave time from work and can complete the certificate program in as little as eight months. You will benefit from the flexibility and accessibility of online courses that fit in with your personal and professional responsibilities. Easy to use web-based technology enables you to learn in an engaging, interactive environment. Intensive advising/mentoring enhances your learning experience.
Instruction is delivered by University of Maryland School of Public Health faculty and experts from prominent public health organizations. The University of Maryland School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
Department of Health Services Administration
3310 School of Public Health Building
4200 Valley Drive
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Relationships: Public Health Practice and Policy (PHPP)
PART 1. SOPHAS APPLICATION
- Complete the online SOPHAS application.
- Choose the University of Maryland College Park School of Public Health program to which you would like to apply.
- You may apply to only one UMD SPH program per application cycle.
- You must send an official transcript for all completed college courses. These transcripts go directly to SOPHAS.
- We require 3 letters of recommendation. Your references will receive an email invite from SOPHAS to complete the recommendation online.
- Test scores. GRE and English proficiency (IELTS and TOEFL) scores must be sent to 5688 & 5814.
- Pay the SOPHAS application fee.
- Your SOPHAS application will go through several phases including submission, completion and verification. Verification can take up to four weeks, therefore we recommend starting the application early.
PART 2: UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION
- The supplemental application is completed online via an emailed invitation from the UMD graduate school.
- The invite is sent within one week of your SOPHAS verification date to the email on file with SOPHAS.
- The title of the email is ‘please complete the school of public health supplemental application.’
- This application requires demographic and residency questions, transcript, and application fee.
- You must submit a PDF copy of your undergraduate degree transcript (the transcript that indicates degree awarded).
- The application fee is $75.00
- Upon completion of BOTH parts, you will receive notification of ‘Under Committee Review’, which means the application has been sent to the review committee.
For more information, please visit the School of Public Health website.
*Visa Eligibility: UMD cannot issue the immigration documents necessary for international students to study (F1 or J1 student visas) in this program. International students who currently reside in the U.S. on existing visas may apply. Eligible international students have additional requirements per the Office of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS). Additional Requirements can be found on the Office of Extended Studies website.
|Type of Applicant||Fall Deadline||Spring Deadline|
|US Citizens and Permanent Residents||Priority: 13 Dec||Priority: 11 Oct|
|Final: 10 April||Final: 15 Nov|
|F (student) or J (exchange visitor) visas; A,E,G,H,I and L visas and immigrants||N/A||N/A|