Graduate Certificate Policies
A post-baccalaureate certificate is awarded for the successful completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours of graduate-level work in a defined subject area under the following conditions:
- The program must include a minimum core requirement of nine credit hours chosen from a limited list as designated by the graduate program.
- Non-core courses must be chosen from a specific list of acceptable options.
- No fewer than nine credit hours must be earned at the 600 level and above.
- In a twelve credit certificate program three credits may be earned at the 400 level; for certificate programs requiring more than 12 credits, a maximum of six credit hours may be at the 400 level.
- All credits for a certificate must be completed at the University of Maryland.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 is required for the award of a graduate certificate.
- All requirements for the graduate certificate must be completed within a five-year period.
Information on active Graduate Certificates can be found on our program listing page.