University Career Center & The President's Promise (UCC/TPP)
Director: Kelley Bishop
The University Career Center & The President’s Promise provides comprehensive career assistance for all students enrolled at the University of Maryland, College Park. Designed to support students through each stage of their career development, the Center offers an array of resources, services and programs that empower students to pursue their ambitions and navigate a meaningful career journey.
Center staff can help you:
- address educational and career decisions
- identify useful resources
- take advantage of internships, full-time, part-time and summer employment opportunities
- improve resume and cover letters
- sharpen job search skills and strategies
- plan for graduate and professional school
A Network of Support
Located in the South Wing of Hornbake Library, the Center serves as a hub of career-related activities. The Center also supports distributed offices located in the following schools and colleges:
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- College of Arts and Humanities
- College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences
- School of Public Health
- The Graduate School
Distributed offices provide advising and programming that targets industries and professional fields related to majors in their respective host school or college. Students may access any of the resources, services and programs based on their career interests and immediate needs.
The Center partners with other campus career operations, including:
- Robert H. Smith School of Business Career Services
- A. James Clark School of Engineering Career Services
- School of Public Policy Career Services
Careers4Terps (Virtual Career Center 24.7.365)
Update your Careers4Terps profiles to manage your career. C4T is your gateway to:
- schedule individual career advising appointments
- access internship and job postings
- receive job and internship notifications related to your specific interests
- receive e-newsletter with event information related to your career interests
- participate in On-Campus Interviewing to discuss your qualifications with recruiters
- engage with employers through information sessions/networking opportunities
You will also gain access to:
- Candid Career: Career-related informational videos by UMD alumni
- FOCUS2: Career testing/self-assessment
- InterviewStream: Practice interviewing 24/7/365
- Going Global: Working abroad, visas, international student resources
- Vault: Employer/industry insights, rankings and reviews
Connect with alumni and employers during the academic year. Opportunities include: resume and mock interview clinics, career and employment panels, job shadowing and informational interviews, career and internship fairs, and employer networking sessions
Intern for a Day
Connects undergraduate students with host sites for one day internship/shadowing experiences. You may attend meetings, participate in informational interviews with other staff members or work on small projects.
Center-sponsored field trips to employer sites from various industries. Shuttle seats are limited. Students should RSVP early.
PSYC123: The Psychology of Getting Hired • 1-credit
This online asynchronous course introduces students to psychological principles involved in hiring processes. Students pace themselves through modules that combine academic content with hands-on activities, online discussions and deliverable materials. Two in-person activities—a resume review and a mock interview—occur in the Center.
EDCP108I: College and Career Advancement: Concepts and Skills; Academic Transitions to Internships • 1-credit
This half-semester course is recommended for students who have never had an internship and are actively searching for one. The online asynchronous course takes students through key exploratory and preparation activities, including understanding the components of an internship, increasing knowledge about an intended career field, developing a resume and cover letter, and identifying potential internship sites.