University Health Center (UHC)
Hours of Operation
|Monday-Thursday||8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Friday||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Saturday||9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.|
About the University Health Center
The University Health Center (UHC) is a nationally accredited ambulatory health care facility located on Campus Drive (across from STAMP). All registered students living on or off-campus are eligible to use the UHC. The UHC is open during the hours listed above, with varied hours during semester breaks, holidays and summer sessions. Visit the UHC website, www.health.umd.edu, for up-to-date information. For life-threatening or Mental Health Emergencies, call 911 or (301) 405-3333 (University of Maryland Police Department). For a list of area hospitals or urgent care centers and their contact information, visit: https://www.health.umd.edu/emergencies. The After Hours Nurse Line (800.535.9700) is available when the University Health Center is closed.
University Health Center offers comprehensive health services including:
- Campus Advocates Respond and Educate to Stop Violence Program
- Health Promotion and Wellness Services
- HIV and STI testing
- International Travel/Allergy/Immunizations Clinic
- Massage Therapy
- Mental Health
- Men's and Women's Reproductive health care
- Primary Care
- Substance Use Intervention and Treatment
- Walk-In Clinic
How to Access Care
Students are seen by appointment for routine care 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Medical services are limited after 5:00 p.m. and on Saturdays 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Some appointments can be scheduled online at www.myuhc.umd.edu.
- Same-day appointments are available.
- A Walk-In Clinic is available, though waits tend to be longer for walk-in care. Walk-in patients are triaged and seen based on urgency.
- Fees will be assessed if an appointment is not canceled or rescheduled within:
- 4 hours for a medical appointment,
- at least 24 hours for a mental health/acupuncture/massage/physical therapy/travel clinic/nutrition/smoking cessation appointment, and
- 72 hours if the acupuncture/massage appointment is on a Monday.
You may cancel or change an appointment on-line at www.myuhc.umd.edu or by calling (301) 314-8184.
- An After Hours Nurseline (877-610-9809) is available for free medical information when the UHC is closed.
- The UHC and the University assume no financial responsibility for care received off campus.
There are charges for almost all services provided at the University Health Center (UHC). We participate with many insurance plans and can bill those plans for our medical services. Your financial responsibility will vary depending on the type of insurance and service provided. We do allow the option to pay for service directly without using health insurance.
- Patients should always bring their health insurance card to the UHC when seeking care.
- Patients are to check with their health insurance company and not assume that the health plan will pay for services provided at the UHC as some plans do not cover services outside their geographic area.
- We are considered out-of-network with Point of Service (POS) plans.
- We cannot bill HMOs (e.g. Kaiser Permanente), Medicare, or out of state Medicaid plans and non-students with Medicaid.
- Charges not covered by insurance are posted to the student's account with Student Financial Services or can be paid at the time of visit in the UHC. Charges can be paid by cash, check, credit cards, or Terrapin Express at the UHC.
The University Health Center Pharmacy participates with many pharmacy insurance plans.
- Mental Health Services are available to registered students only. There is a fee for each mental health session.
- Nutrition Services are available to students and non-students; there are fees for appointments with the Registered Dietitian.
Please call (301) 314-9144 if you have further questions about fees or using your health insurance at the UHC. You may also refer to our health insurance Frequently Asked Questions page.
Students younger than 18 years will need permission from a parent or legal guardian to be treated, except for mental health and sexual health services. Treatment and visit information will only be given to parents with the student's consent or through a court ordered subpoena. If the visit is billed through an insurance policy, the insurance company may send detailed information concerning a medical visit to the policy holder (i.e. parent).
The University of Maryland requires all undergraduate students enrolled in 6 or more credits to show proof of health insurance. This is an active process that must be completed each year.
- Each year, students who have health insurance can go directly to https://umd.myahpcare.com/waiver and complete an insurance waiver.
- Students without coverage or those who wish to purchase the student health insurance plan can enroll at https://umd.myahpcare.com/waiver .
Graduate Students are generally exempt from this requirement.
Additional information on student insurance and Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the University Health Center’s web site.
The University of Maryland requires all new students, including graduate and transfer students, to provide proof of two immunization dates for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR). The Immunization Record Form must be submitted to the University Health Center at Orientation, but no later than the first day of class. Completed forms can also be faxed to 301-314-5234.
- In addition to the above MMR requirement, INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS from selected countries with a high incidence of Tuberculosis must also provide documentation of a Tuberculosis (TB) test completed within the past six months.
- Maryland State Law requires students living in residence halls to provide proof of vaccination against meningococcal meningitis or a signed waiver stating that they have chosen not to receive the vaccination.
- Failure to submit a completed Immunization Record Form will result in a Registration Block for the future semester and a non-compliance fee may be assessed. The Registration Block will be removed after the Immunization Record has been submitted and processed.