Korean Studies Minor
School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Program Director: Seong Minne Koh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Korean Studies Minor will provide students with a basic knowledge of Korea and its language and culture. Five 3-credit courses are required, and three of the five must be at the 3xx or 4xx level. This minor is open to both heritage and non-heritage students alike. Those interested should contact the faculty in the Korean Language Program for advising.
To make an appointment to explore or declare a minor, go to: http://arhu.umd.edu/academics/undergraduate-studies/minors/.
15 credits are required for the minor:
|Korean Language and Language-Related Courses|
|Select two courses devoted specifically to Korean language or language-related studies from the following: 1||6|
|Intermediate Korean I|
|Intermediate Korean II|
|Introductory Reading for Speakers of Korean I|
|Introductory Reading for Speakers of Korean II|
|History of the Korean Language|
|Korean for Heritage Speakers, Advanced-Low I|
|Korean for Heritage Speakers, Advanced-Low II|
|Korean Language and Linguistics|
|Select three courses in Korea-related studies from fields such as history, sociology, and art history: 2||9|
|Special Topics in History (HIST319N Korean History)|
|Special Topics in Sociology (SOCY398K Contemporary South Korean Society )|
|East Asian Civilization I 3|
|East Asian Civilization II 3|
|Special Topics in History (HIST319C Asian Age in World History )|
|The Languages of East Asia 2|
|Topics in Comparative Politics (GVPT359C Politics of Japan and Northeast Asia )|
|Art and Society in Asia 3|
Both must be at the second-year level or above.
At least one of these courses must have broad East Asian content to provide breadth to the minor.
East Asian courses
- Other Korea-related courses may be used to satisfy the requirements, subject to the approval of the Korean Program advisor.
- Three of the five required courses must be at the 3xx or 4xx level.
- All courses presented for the minor must be passed with a grade of "C-" or better.
- An overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor is required for graduation.
- No more than six credits can overlap with the major, and no more than six credits can come from off-campus (study abroad, transfer, etc.).
Note: CIC courses through the Big10 courseshare arrangements will be considered for the Korean Studies Minor