Department of Psychology
1121 Biology-Psychology Building
The minor in Neurosciences will give the highly qualified and motivated undergraduate an opportunity to study Neuroscience. The emphasis includes study in systems, cognitive, and computational neuroscience in a manner that crosses the traditional boundaries of Psychology, Biological Sciences, and other related disciplines. The minor is most appropriate for students who already have a background in the biological sciences or psychology.
- All majors are eligible for the minor except students in the Physiology & Neurobiology (PHNB) track in Biological Sciences (BSCI).
- There are a number of science course prerequisites for the required and elective classes. Students should carefully review the prerequisites for all courses listed for the Neurosciences minor. A student without a sufficient science background may not be able to complete the minor in the allotted credits.
- Students may only count a maximum of two courses (6-8 credits) toward both their major degree requirements and the Minor in Neurosciences.
Eligibility and Application to the Minor
In order to apply for the Minor in Neurosciences, a student must have:
- Completed at least 30 college credits and at least 15 credits at UM
- Earned at least a "C-" in BSCI170/BSCI171 and CHEM131/CHEM132 or have AP equivalents
- Earned at least a "C-" in PSYC301 or BSCI353
- Be in good academic standing with the University
Applications for the Minor in Neurosciences will be considered three times each year on October 1, March 1, and June 1. Students will be notified via email regarding the status of their application within three weeks of the submission deadline so that students will know whether or not they are accepted prior to early registration for the next semester.
Interested students should submit applications electronically via the Psychology Undergraduate Program website at psyc.umd.edu/undergraduate/neuroscience-minor
There are five required courses (11-14 credits) and two elective courses (6-8 credits) for a total of 17-22 credits to complete the minor. The five required courses and their prerequisites are listed below1. All courses used to satisfy the requirements of the minor must be completed with a grade of "C-" or better. Students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average across all courses used to satisfy the minor requirements.
|Required Courses 1|
|PSYC301||Biological Basis of Behavior||3|
|or BSCI453||Cellular Neurophysiology|
|PSYC401||Biological Bases of Behavior Laboratory||1-4|
|or BSCI454||Neurobiology Laboratory|
|PSYC402||Neural Systems and Behavior||3|
|or BSCI446||Neural Systems|
|or BSCI360||Principles of Animal Behavior|
|PSYC409||Topics in Neurosciences Seminar||1|
|Two elective courses 2||6-8|
Course prerequisites can be viewed by clicking on the course.
A list of eligible electives can be found on the program website at psyc.umd.edu/undergraduate/neuroscience-minor.