Special Applicants

Golden Identification (Golden ID) Program

The University of Maryland (UMD) participates in the Golden ID Program. This program allows eligible senior citizens to take advantage of the wide variety of course offerings at the university. To be eligible to participate, the individual must be 60 years of age or older, a legal resident of the state of Maryland and retired (not engaged in gainful employment for more than 20 hours a week).

Students who are interested in participating in this program must first be admitted to UMD. They can apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The appropriate application fee will be assessed.

Additional information on how to apply may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 301.314.TERP (8377). The Office of the Registrar website provides additional information about the Golden ID Program.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Applicants who qualify for admission but do not desire to work toward a baccalaureate degree may be admitted as non-degree seeking students.

Non-degree seeking students who have received a baccalaureate degree are advised that no credit earned while enrolled may be applied at a later date to a graduate program. These post-baccalaureate students may enroll in undergraduate courses for which they possess the necessary prerequisites, but may not enroll in courses restricted to graduate students only. Students who wish to take courses at the graduate level (600 and above) must contact the Graduate School for information concerning admission requirements for Advanced Special Student status.

Non-degree seeking students who do not have a baccalaureate degree, or are in progress of completing a baccalaureate degree at the time of application, must submit transcripts and meet regular admission standards. Transcripts are not required from students who have completed baccalaureate degrees from a regionally accredited institution at the time of application. Due to space limitation, several departments require that permission be given in advance to register for classes as a non-degree student. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for further information.

Non-degree seeking students who wish to take classes must submit the transfer application, official transcript (if applicable based on the information provided above) and a letter of permission from an academic advisor or dean at their home institution.

Returning Students

Applicants who have not attended school for more than five years should contact the Student Success Office. Veterans should also contact the University of Maryland Veterans Certification Services at 301.314.8239.

Students returning to UMD after a separation of five calendar years may petition the appropriate dean to have a number of grades and credits from courses previously taken at UMD removed from the calculation of their cumulative grade point averages and from the credits applied toward graduation requirements. See information under Registration and Academic Records and Regulations